Search This Blog

Sunday, November 15, 2015

NaNoWriMo Progress Update November 2015 #NaNoWriMo #writer #NaBloPoMo

NaNoWriMo Progress Update November 2015 #NaNoWriMo #Writer #NaBloPoMo

Emblem courtesy of NaNoWriMo Sponsors

This book is a future number one bestseller. That is what I have convinced myself. That is what I believe it to be. That is what it one day will be. This book, this mystery, this novel about a murder is what will be on every mature reader's mind come one year's time. The re-readability, the depth of character, the richness of whodunnit--all of it will mingle in people's minds. They may not love the characters, or even like them, but they know them. They know them as well as any person can know a fictional character, as well as anyone can truly know anyone else in this world. And it'll make them fearful. And it'll make them inquisitive. And it'll make them wonder how did he know? How did I know that it was going to be a bestseller, that it would occupy the mind and drive them to talk about it so constantly, to loathe and cherish it all at once. This book is a future number one bestseller, and boy is it pushing me to the brink.

Courtesy Harper Roofing
So, what are we talking about here? A man and a roof. Sounds simple, right? When it comes out, and you see the title, you'll know that this was the book I dared myself to write for NaNoWriMo (#NaNoWriMo) or National Novel Writing Month. For those unfamiliar with it, the name says most of it. Every November for the last few months writers challenge themselves to write either an entire novel or somewhere near 50,000 words (that's the average I've seen). Currently, we are precisely halfway through the month and I am only 50,000 words into my manuscript after 12 days of writing. I had to take two days off to do yard work and get my garden winter-ready. That is roughly just under 4000 words a day--off my usual word count. Why am I so off, you ask? I think it has something to do with NaBloPoMo.

Emblem courtesy of the BlogHer network

NaBloPoMo (#NaBloPoMo) is National Blog Posting Month which I guess is also this month. Me, in all of my genius, decided that not only would this be the first year ever I participated in NaNoWriMo but also in NaBloPoMo since I have a blog and why not. The latter is a challenge to make one blog post per day for the entirety of the month (holidays too. Yikes!) So far so good, but because of that the novel has somewhat suffered.




I don't often get writer's block. I keep my flow going by working on multiple projects at a time. But for this challenge I cut back to just this novel, the posts and editing a short story. Now, much of my time is spent pacing back and forth. I'm near halfway through the novel and the crazy part? I've only just now gotten to the hard part. If I wrote at my normal pace, skipping a few posts a week, I'd probably be finishing sometime at the end of this week, but this whole challenge is driving me crazy #WriterProblems. Have I lost hope that I can completely crush both challenges? No, not yet, but I am growing antsy about the novel.

I know what you're saying by now. You've probably thought all sorts of, "he's delusional" and "bestsellers take time" and "no one writes a bestseller for NaNoWriMo," but a guy can try. And if I succeed I'm just telling you doubters now that I reserve the right to smear it in your face and be as petty as I can. For you supporters, thanks for the support.

On the good note, I have all of my characters well-shaped, I know much of the plot but I am struggling with the ending scene. I've already written the inciting incident, one of the larger action sequences (though I don't feel comfortable with how it unravels), and stuffed it with clues of who it could be. However, I am still struggling to write for three of the characters and haven't been as "showy" and descriptive as I'd like in a few scenes. I know, I rarely ever talk about writing on this blog which is why it is such a (refreshing?) change, but I feel I needed to do at least one post on my month's progress.

So, how are you doing? Are you a writer or a reader or both? If a writer, are you taking the NaNoWriMo challenge? What about the NaBloPoMo challenge as a blogger? Did you even know about the NaBloPoMo? I think it's new to this year. Let me know about your writing experiences from this month and as an added bonus, if you've written something, tell me what was your favorite part and least favorite part of the writing experience. And if you're new to the blog, check out some of the other posts as I usually talk about TV and movies and a host of other things. Know what you should be watching and what's getting canceled and stay tuned for some funny (hopefully) posts in the coming holiday weeks.

Anyway, let me know what you're writing/reading in the comments below (hint: click the no comments button if you see no comments).

Check out my new comedy novel Yep, I'm Totally Stalking My Ex-Boyfriend now a 5-star rated comedy novel. #AhStalking
If you’re looking for a scare check #AFuriousWind#DARKER#BrandNewHome or  #ThePowerOfTen. For those interested in something a little more dramatic, check out #TheWriter. The full first season is out now NOW exclusively on Amazon. If you like fast action crime check out #ADangerousLow. The sequel A New Low will be out in a few months. Join us on Goodreads to talk about books and TV, and subscribe to and follow my blog with that Google+ button to the right.


Until next time, "I'm going to write a novel!
'But Jimmy, writing a novel can take years and thousands of words slung together to make meaning and a plot.'
"I'm going to read a novel."
'They're kinda long.'
"I'm going to take a nap!"


P.S. That would probably be a good sign-off if it weren't so long. Dang it, Michael, you've fuddied it up again. I'll think of something better the next time.

Amazon
Goodreads Author Page
Goodreads Books Similar to TV Shows
Twitter@filmbooksbball

No comments:

Post a Comment