Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Constructing A Bestseller #NaNoWriMo #NaBloPoMo #TMOTR

Constructing A Bestseller #NaNoWriMo #NaBloPoMo #TMOTR

Courtesy of the NaNoWriMo organization. 

I will probably never do this again! Goodness, this is a lot of work. No, not the NaNoWriMo (#NaNoWriMo) alone, nor THE NaBloPoMo (#NaBloPoMo) alone but combining them is a lot. Don't get me wrong, I have written plenty of stuff in a month or less before--it's kind of my average for a full-length novel--but never have I had to do the posts every day too, coupled with the garden clean-up. MAN, November is just such a busy month for me. Is there any way we can move this to January when it's longer, there's less happening (no Thanksgiving means no Thanksgiving travel), not to mention it's actually snowing then and more people are snowed in and missing school or their other work because of the weather? Seriously, the NaNo people should look into that. Just imagine the rush of energy writers will feel from completing a book at the beginning of the year. Major bragging rights for the rest of the year, but I digress.

This Monday, as I am writing this, I am up to about 80,000 words and still have somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand to go. The book I'm writing--you know, the future bestseller that I told you about in my first NaNo post--is a mystery and it has a lot of moving parts to it. Oh, and remember that hashtag up top, #TMOTR, cause in about a year it will be everywhere, ON everything. Seriously, I cannot stress enough how big this book will be, people.

Courtesy of the BlogHer network.

Having now come to the hard part of writing for me, I am faced with the near insurmountable task of having to cobble together the sequence by which what I've written should actually go in the book. Revealing a little more of my writing process as talked about on my Twitter-friend and fellow author S.M. Dahman's blog, when starting a book, I just write. I have the details of what I want in the story, I have a basic structure of how it goes, I have THE plot from start to finish, and I have a few clear visions of scenes. Starting with the easiest scenes, I push forward and I don't stop until I hit a wall where I have to stop to force myself to think of how to get from point A to point Z (usually the ending is one of those things written first).

I have nearly reached that point. Now, I'll most likely spend a few hours trying to slot the things I've written into where it should go, shaving off what can and can't fit so that the transitions are smooth. Because it's a mystery, I actually will keep a hint of confusion for the reader to feed into the overall aura of the book; everything else must flow. Hopefully I can make that happen for TMOTR and still produce a bestseller. Remember that success starts first with convincing yourself that it's possible, then convincing the world, sometimes one person at a time. When you read this book about this ROOF, you'll know that I succeeded at convincing not only myself, but you as well.

What about you, fellow writers and readers? Writers, are you reaching any of your goals to finish a book or get to a particular word count or scene count (that's important too, as some stories needn't be long but every scene impactful)? Are you already finished or trying to rush to the finish line? And how do you feel about your finished draft? Is it good or did you just slop some words together just to say you did?
What about you bloggers out there? Are you succeeding at the post-a-day for the month of November or did you miss a day or two? How do your readers/subscribers feel about the onslaught of posts? Are you ready to go on vacation from blogging? I sure am.

Well, wish me luck on completing these two challenges as I'll probably be working a little on Thanksgiving too. Anyway, let me know what you're writing/reading in the comments below (hint: click the no comments button if you see no comments).

Check out my new comedy novel Yep, I'm Totally Stalking My Ex-Boyfriend now a 5-star rated comedy novel. #AhStalking 
If you’re looking for a scare check #AFuriousWind#DARKER#BrandNewHome or  #ThePowerOfTen. For those interested in something a little more dramatic, check out #TheWriter. The full first season is out now NOW exclusively on Amazon. If you like fast action crime check out #ADangerousLow. The sequel A New Low will be out in a few months. Join us on Goodreads to talk about books and TV, and subscribe to and follow my blog with that Google+ button to the right.

Until next time, "you want me to do what?"
'Read a book!'
"Fine!"
'And picture books don't count!'
"What hell is this?"


P.S. I like that sign-off. Gosh, I might keep that one. It's just such a long conversation, though. Maybe I can fix it in the editing process. I'll see if it works for the next time.

Amazon
Goodreads Author Page
Goodreads Books Similar to TV Shows
Twitter@filmbooksbball

No comments:

Post a Comment